Q. I have damage to my property-what now?
A. Call your insurance carrier and let them know:
- When the incident occurred.
- A general description of what happened.
- The location of the damaged property and what was damaged.
- The condition of the home and if it is still livable.
- If temporary repairs are needed.
- If the fire or police department was contacted, which department
responded and any report number. Your contact information and
the best time to reach you.
Q. Do I need to protect my home from further damage?
A. Yes, once it is safe to do so, it is your responsibility to protect your property from further damage.
- Arrange for reasonable temporary repairs such as boarding up broken
windows, covering the roof, and removing debris.
- Keep a list of any temporary repairs you make to document the damage,
and make sure to save your receipts.
- If possible, place damaged items in a secure area where they can be
inspected. If you are unsure about an item, include it with the damaged property.
- If you have fire or smoke damage, do not try to clean the damaged items.
Sometimes cleaning things without the proper equipment can cause more damage.